2022 Safe Medication - ISMP's Top 10 Errors & Hazards
Tuesday, July 12, 2022
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
This educational activity is jointly provided by AXIS Medical Education and the North Carolina Healthcare Association.
The Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) recently published its annual “Top 10 Medication Safety Concerns” on medication errors and hazards. The top four involve COVID-19 vaccines, including formula and preparation errors as well as administration errors.
Supply chain issues related to the availability of hypertonic saline was also one of the top concerns. The key issue was timely availability of the solution for prompt treatment of potential life-threatening conditions, such as cerebral edema. Other concerns that made the list were discontinued or paused infusions infection transmission with shared glucometers, and adverse glycemic events. Additionally, ISMP urges every facility to have a medication safety officer. This individual can serve as a medication safety advocate while addressing medication safety concerns to hospital leadership.
This webinar will review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) opioid guidelines, Joint Commission final pain management guidelines, federal guidelines for opioid programs, opioid epidemic, and required hospital policies and training. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) standards on the care of the patient receiving opioids will also be addressed.
This session will also discuss the ISMP IV Push guidelines for adults and the National Action Plan for ADR prevention related to the opioid recommendations. The CMS final worksheet on tracking medication administration errors and adverse drug reactions will be covered and the CDC final opioid guidelines will be reviewed.
Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this webinar, participants should be able to:
- Recall the ISMP Top 10 Medication Errors and hazards.
- Discuss ISMP’s recommendations for safe administration of COVID-19 and other
vaccinations, including dealing with leftover doses.
- Review ISMP recommendations to prevent transmission of infections.
- Recite the importance of a medication safety officer for a facility.
- Recall that CMS has required policies and education requirements on medication
Target audience: CMO's, CNO's, Physicians, Compliance Officer, Joint Commission Coordinator, Quality Improvement personnel, Risk Manager, Emergency Department Personnel, Medical Records and Legal Counsel.
$185 NCHA Member Facilities - Safe Medication - ISMP's webinar only.
Register for all JULY Webinars and take advantage of an $80 savings.
$660 All July webinars (Contact James Hayes at email@example.com for the promotion code. You must register for each webinar separately.)
- July 12 - Safe Medication – ISMP’s 2022 Top 10 Errors and Hazards
- July 19 - Utilization Review Standards 2022
- July 20 - Pursuing Health Equity Through Regulation and Reimbursement
- July 26 - What Happened? Patient Safety and Risk Management Tips Through Case Studies